August 13, 2012

THE HAIR DIARIES

Hello friends, I hope you had a wonderful weekend. Saturday I went to CD102.5 Summerfest, and got to hear the Lumineres sing my favorite song of the moment {Ho Hey}. I also made a quick 24 hour trip to my hometown to help my sis and mom with our garage sale, AND get my hair done - which leads me to this... 

The photos below are examples of my dream hair. I've always wanted those rocker-chic bangs and beachy "I just woke up this way" waves. 


When my sister, Katie, and I were little I wanted her hair. Really bad. {I still do.} She had this perfectly pretty, straight hair with shiny bangs. And mine was naturally curly and out of control. In high school and college I swear I had super long 80s hair-band hair, à la Jon Bon Jovi. It wasn't until I was 22 that I found a flat iron that actually worked, and I spent the next four to five years battling Chicago weather trying to keep my hair straight. Finally, around age 27 I found my answer in a big barrel curling iron. I think it just took me longer than the average person to get it all figured out. Yep, I curl my naturally curly hair with a curling iron. Kind of ironic, I know. I don't even remember the last time I left my hair naturally curly, but I can tell you the result is somewhere between Felicity, Melina Kanakaredes... and Curly Sue. But not in a good way. Naturally curly hair basically rules out cool haircuts, so I've always colored my hair when I got bored. It's been blonde, blonder, brown, red, ombre, and everything in between. I really should have put together a "my hair over the years" timeline for you... Or not. No one needs to see that. 


So... bangs. Do any of you have naturally curly hair with bangs? How do you control them in rain or humidity if you're hair is naturally curly? Do they spring up like Little Orphan Anne? Unfortunately, I've never imagined bangs and natural curl playing well together... 


Well, this Friday when I was sitting at Katie's station at the salon - she got tired of hearing me talk about my bang wishes and worries, and she decided we should just give it a shot. And so she cut. She cut before I could second guess myself. 

I have bangs. I haven't had bangs since 90's mall bangs. 

Kate followed it up by putting a global keretin treatment on my bangs, which is basically a miracle product. I haven't been allowed to get my bangs wet, which made for some entertainment at Summerfest on Saturday when it started raining. I reacted so fast - slapping my hand over my forehead and throwing my jacket over my head. My bangs were the only thing that stayed dried.

For now, you can see a picture on my new hair via my instagram. Because I just can't bring myself to post a picture of moi in the same blog post as Kirsten Dunst.


{photo credits: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5}



8 comments:

  1. I think your hair looks fab with bangs :) I totally understand the hair frustration though... My hair has never really made me happy and every time I change it I wish I hadn't. So I just keep going from bangs back to no bangs, to curling my naturally wavy hair with a curling iron (like you) or straightening it. I have no volume whatsoever, no shine, I am half gray (no kidding, it may actually be even worse) and my hair breaks like crazy.
    Complain much? haha I have pretty much accepted that I will never be one of those girls with the pretty hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sophie :) Thank you! And I think you DO have pretty hair (we both hide the gray quite well if I do say so myself)!

      Delete
  2. Should have posted ;o) Love the bangs, Molly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! maybe one day soon ;) thank you! xoxo

      Delete
  3. omg. You look AWESOME with bangs. (and you rival Kirsten Dunst's hair so now you both are making me green with envy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brenda, that is SO sweet. Thank you for the comment!!! xo

      Delete
  4. I think the bangs look great!! I keep trying to get up the courage to ask for bangs when I go to the salon. For some reason there is this scenario in my head where I ask for bangs and my stylist says something to the effect of "unh, unh. You would look terrible with bangs!" Unlikely, yes. Enough to keep me from asking, most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From one Molly to another - Thank you! :) That scenario has actually happened to me, since my sister is my hair stylist ;) And I think you would look adorable with bangs! Go for it!!!!

      Delete